Whether you’ve been living on campus for two weeks or three years, there’s a pretty universal desire for food not purchased at the cafeteria. Here are a few easy recipes you can make in the comfort of your dorm room — plus, many of the ingredients for these meals can be purchased with Flexi from the undercaf or salad bar.
Cheesy Pizza Dip
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
¾ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
8 ounces of pizza sauce
Optional: green peppers or green onion; breadsticks or tortilla chips
1. Mix cream cheese and Italian seasoning and spread in microwave-safe pie plate
2. Sprinkle half of the cheese into the mix, then add pizza sauce, then add the remaining cheese and any other toppings
3. Microwave on high until cheese is melted (2-3 minutes). Rotate every 30 seconds
4. Let sit for 1-2 minutes, then dig in!
Baked Sweet Potato
Optional: butter, cheese, sour cream, veggies, avocado, salsa or any other toppings you’d prefer!
1. Rinse potato
2. Pierce 6-8 times with a fork
3. Loosely wrap with slightly damp, cold paper towel
4. Microwave around six minutes, flipping halfway through
5. Let cool, then cut in half
6. Load with toppings and enjoy!
1 tablespoon milk or water
1 tablespoon any cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper
Optional: spinach, bell peppers, ham, bacon, mushrooms, onions
Anything else you’d like to add!
1. Spray microwave-safe bowl with oil or cooking spray
2. Whisk eggs and water or milk
3. Stir in cheese, toppings and salt and pepper
4. Microwave 45 seconds, stir, then microwave 45 more seconds
SAS Sandwich (Spinach, Avocado, Strawberries)
2 slices of bread (optional: replace with tortillas or lettuce wraps)
2-4 ounces deli turkey (2-4 slices)
½ cup spinach
Optional: goat cheese or other slices of cheese
1. Thinly slice the strawberries and avocados
2. Add all the ingredients to the slices of bread and make a sandwich
3. Hack: omit the bread and add a strawberry vinaigrette for a refreshing salad!