Prep time: 15 minutes
Serves two as side dish, four as appetizer
Black Mission figs are in season, and their seed-filled sweetness pairs well with a tart Granny Smith apple and rich goat cheese. This flavorful mixture of fruits and greens will have you savoring the last days of summer.
Five ounces of baby spinach (arugula works, too)
¾ Granny Smith apple, diced
8 Black Mission figs, cut into quarters
½ lemon, squeezed
3 ounces of goat cheese, crumbled (refrigerated)
⅓ cup of extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup of balsamic vinegar
Dash of salt and pepper
- Wash the Granny Smith apple, spinach and figs. Put five ounces of spinach into a salad bowl.
- With a paring knife, cut the tops off of the figs and then cut into quarters. Place figs into the bowl. Then, dice ¾ of the apple and place into the bowl.
- Take goat cheese out of the fridge and with your fingers, crumble three ounces over the spinach, figs and apple.
- Take ½ lemon and squeeze over salad (making sure you catch any seeds). Measure out ⅓ cup of olive oil and ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar. Add both to salad.
- Finally, add a dash of salt and pepper. With two forks, mix all ingredients together.