Men’s and Women’s Soccer Teams Defeat Saint Mary’s

Chloe Jackson

Staff Writer


On the weekend of Oct. 20, both the men’s and women’s soccer teams faced challenging competitors. As USF moves further along in conference games, the Dons are putting forth all effort to raise their game. This was an exciting weekend for the Dons, as both teams were able to celebrate victories.


On Oct. 21, the men’s team went up against Saint Mary’s at Negoesco Stadium. The first goal was sunk in the first 30 minutes by junior midfielder Santiago Digiuseppe and was assisted by senior midfielder Aaron Lombardi, giving the Dons an early lead. Just ten minutes later, captain and senior forward Bryce Kaminski netted a goal with a header off a pass by senior defender Manny Padilla. In the last few minutes of the first half, USF got lucky when a player on the Saint Mary’s team scored an own goal, making the score 3-0 at the half.


In the second half of the game, Saint Mary’s managed to score two goals, but these still were not enough to catch up to the Dons. Digiuseppe netted his second goal of the game, making his fifth goal of the season. The Dons finished strong, resulting in a 4-2 win against Saint Mary’s.


“It was a good game. We had good team performance and this gives us a lot of confidence going into our next matches against Gonzaga and Portland,” said Digiuseppe.


On the women’s side, USF experienced an unfortunate loss on Oct. 20 when they went up against University of the Pacific. The women’s soccer team traveled to Stockton, Calif. to face UoP at Knoles Field and sadly did not leave with the win. Even though the game ended in a loss for the Dons, the women’s team managed to execute three goals. However, this wasn’t enough compared to Pacific’s five goals.


Autumn Smithers, a junior defender, scored her first career goal of the season in the 13th minute. Sophomore forward Miciah Madison stepped up and slotted away the second and third goal for the Dons. UoP was able to match them quickly and on top of that, they scored an additional two goals later in the second half ending the game with a score of 3-5.


On Oct. 22, the women’s soccer team played their second game of the weekend, this time an away game against Saint Mary’s. In the 29th minute, sophomore forward Desiree Major scored the first goal of the game and was assisted by senior forward Sonja Giraud. Just a few minutes later, Saint Mary’s was awarded a penalty kick, and tied it up at 1-1.


In the second half, Saint Mary’s netted a second goal, putting them in the lead. However, this lead was only temporary as Giraud evened it out with another goal for USF almost immediately after. The women’s team was neck-and-neck with Saint Mary’s, and the period resulted in a tie, now both teams move forward into overtime. When no goals were scored in overtime, the match moved into double overtime. In these final minutes of the game, Major assisted senior midfielder Camille Wilson in scoring the winning goal.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.