Staff Editorial: Responding to the University’s handling of Nov. 24 public safety incident

A sign protesting the University’s lack of communication during the public safety incident hangs in a Gillson Hall window. PHOTO BY HOLDEN FATHEREE/FOGHORN

On Sunday, Nov. 24 around 7:30 p.m., the Department of Public Safety and the San Francisco Police Department (SFPD) apprehended a first-year student who had been posting threatening messages on social media, even going so far as to threaten to shoot students in Gillson Hall, his dorm. The student was eventually restrained and arrested, but only after he had attempted to force his way into Gillson while screaming threats and racial slurs, with nearby residents watching and listening from their windows. 

The USF emergency alert system sent its first message about the situation to the campus community at 7:51 p.m., 20 minutes after the student had been arrested, saying, “There is no active shooter on campus and our community is not in danger.” However, Public Safety first responded to the issue around 3:30 p.m., hours before they ever alerted students — most students, including RAs (Residential Advisers) and CAs (Community Assistants), had received more information from social media platforms or friends than the University itself. While the text was meant to be clarifying, for many, it led to more questions and confusion.

Many students, including the staff of the Foghorn, were frustrated by the lack of communication and clarity around the events as they were happening. 

While we recognize the University’s desire to verify details before sending out alerts to avoid causing needless worry, the lack of communication only led to more panic and concern — students had no idea if they were in danger or not. It was shameful and indefensibly irresponsible for USF to not issue any statement until long after the situation was resolved.

There was never an official lockdown in Gillson, leaving many residents unaware of where was safe. Those in the building were left to sit with their fear, as no one knew whether the student was in the building or whether he was armed.

Even if the University had not deemed a lockdown appropriate, a cautionary message easily could’ve been sent out. For example: “Public Safety is working with SFPD to investigate and address a series of threats to campus. There is no immediate threat at this time, but the community is advised to exercise heightened caution.” Rather than send anything of the sort, the University remained radio silent. 

We believe there was a massive communication breakdown between the school and their students in a way that can only be described as reckless. Waiting to inform students of the active shooting threat (whether the student was armed or not) led to the exact thing that Public Safety claims it didn’t want: panic. 

In the aftermath of Sunday evening, the Foghorn calls for a full review of USF’s mishandling of this situation — who dropped the ball, and what is being done to fix this? The Foghorn believes there is no excuse for the lack of communication. Even though there was no actual “active shooter” on campus, students had no way of knowing this. As far as the campus community knew, the student could have had access to a firearm or felt compelled to follow through on his violent social media vows at any moment — not to mention the fact that he was literally slamming his body into the Gillson front doors while yelling slurs and profanities.

Although the threat was eventually neutralized, the Foghorn believes that USF needs to have an independent audit into the situation, just as it did after the University determined it was too slow to respond to San Francisco’s hazardous air quality levels in fall 2018. The resulting “Wildfire Air Quality Policy” guidelines established clear protocol for how the University will respond to harmful air quality in the future. Likewise, we need to not only learn from Sunday’s incident, which could’ve been so much worse, but establish protocol so that we as a community are prepared in the case of an actual emergency. 

Yesterday’s incident proves that USF is not ready to handle a situation that so easily could have turned deadly. Thank God it did not end up that way. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *