Día de los Muertos — “Day of the Dead” — is a holiday widely celebrated in Central and Southern Mexico on Nov. 1 and 2.
On the first floor lobby of Kalmanovitz Hall, the Intercultural Center has created a booth decorated with candles, papel picado (tissue paper banners), skulls, and vibrant colors to commemorate this special holiday. The tradition states that on the midnight of Oct. 31, the spirits of angelitos (deceased children) are able to reunite with their families during this time. On Nov. 2, the spirits of adults come down and enjoy all the festivities presented in their celebration. Ofrendas (altars), like the one in Kalmanovitz Hall, are decorated to ensure that returning spirits are able to celebrate with generations still present on earth.
You can check out the commemorative exhibit on your way to class, or you can participate in the holiday and write a little note to a loved one who has passed.
San Francisco is also hosting their own Día de los Muertos celebrations.
Día de los Muertos
If you’d like to turn this celebration into a fancy evening out, Noir Lounge is hosting a dinner and ball to celebrate this festive tradition.
- Where: 581 Hayes Street (Hayes and Laguna)
- When: Saturday, Nov. 2 at 7:30 p.m.
- Tickets: $25 a person. Purchase online at www.eventbrite.com
Día de los Muertos Community Concert featuring the San Francisco Symphony
The San Francisco Symphony is celebrating the Day of the Dead with their sixth annual concert.
- Where: Davies Symphony Hall on Grove Street (between Van Ness and Franklin)
- When: Saturday, Nov. 2 at 2:00 p.m.
- Tickets: Starting at $30. Purchase online at www.sfsymphony.org/dia
Imagining Time, Gathering Memory: Día de los Muertos
For art lovers, the SOMArts Cultural Center is hosting an exhibit featuring over 80 local artists and their work in remembrance of the day.
- Where: 934 Buchanan Street (between 8th and 9th)
- When: Saturday, Nov. 9 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Tickets: A suggested donation of $7 a person on www.eventbrite.com
Día de los Muertos Pre Health Conference
Are you a minority student interested in pursuing a career in health? If so, then this conference is a great tool that exposes a variety of health careers to over hundreds of students like you!
- Where: University of California, San Francisco on 505 Parnassus Avenue
- When: Nov. 9 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Tickets: $15 for students. Purchase online at www.eventbrite.com