USF student abroad takes on Spaghetti alla Bolognese
Spaghetti alla Bolognese
Prep time: 10 minutes
Overall time: 50 minutes
- 1 onion
- 1 pound of spaghetti
- 4 fresh tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil for the pan
- 2 cups of tomato paste
- ½ cup of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- ½ pound of ground beef or turkey.
- 1 can of tomato paste
1) In a large pan, cover the bottom with extra virgin olive oil on medium heat. Cut three cloves of garlic and 3/4 of an onion into the pan, and saute them until brown.
2) Cut four fresh tomatoes into small dices and add them when the garlic and onion is browned. Add a generous amount of salt & pepper, then stir. Add three bay leaves into the mixture. Put on high heat until boiling. After boiling, set on low heat and let sit for another 40 minutes.
3) In a separate pan, cover the bottom with extra virgin olive oil on medium heat. Add the rest of the onions and garlic, and saute them until brown. Add beef or turkey to the pan, as well as a generous amount of salt & pepper. Cook until the meat is done. After the meat is cooked, pour in the tomato paste and slowly add water until consistency is no longer thick. Stir in the sauce with the meat and add basil. Let mixture sit on low heat for 20 minutes.
4) Cook the spaghetti in a large pot with salted water. Drain noodles and add the tomato sauce. Let pasta sit in low heat for 10 minutes. Plate the spaghetti and finish with the meat sauce. Yum! You’re done!